Something to be thankful for.......

Last year I spend thanksgiving with Shea and her family, this was not my first Thanksgiving with Shea. I also spend 2009 with her family and they were really welcoming and made me feel at home. There was a huge difference between 2009 and 2011 thanksgiving which was due to Shea being diagnose with Melanoma. There was a silence and fear that I felt that thanksgiving night. I realize that even with everyone smiling the fear was in all of us at that table. The doctors had told her she had 3 months to live but Shea would not take that as an answer. She is a fighter and decided to do a trial in NIH(National Institute of Health). It wasn't easy getting in this trial, she had qualify with so many things but she prayed and had faith. This year I had thanksgivings with Courtney's family and Court asked me what I was thankful for? I though about how amazing Shea's recovery had been and how she is still fighting. I send her a text saying "You have come a long way" and she responded with "Miracles do happen". This phrase really touched me. I majored in Nuclear Medicine, I studied every type of Cancer and I dealt with patients with stage IV. I know this is a miracle and I am thankful for NIH, for DR. Rosenberg who took time to do research, worked hard and wants more for people than just another 3 months. I am thankful for intelligent people who are not materialistic but passionate and really want to make a difference. At the same time I felt a little sadness, I have been so busy with work, Court, our new puppy, that I haven't really talk to Shea in a while. I guess we are not as close but I know we are friends and I will be here if she ever needs me. I am thankful for so many things this year, how much I have grown and not only by my words but by my actions. That I have found such a special partner, my health, good friends, a job and for my family. Even as dysfunctional as they can be, I love them and they love me. I posted a picture of me and Shea, this was taken thanksgiving 2011.